HomeFAQRegisterLog in
[GR] Gone Rogue Server

Share | 

Installing Windows to an SSD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DontTreadOnMe

PostSubject: Installing Windows to an SSD   Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:20 am

Hey guys, I have a question. A friend of mine whos trying to build a new pc for his business (he owns an oil and gas busines - so why he just didnt buy one is beyond me) any ways he's trying to install windows to an SSD. When he goes to choose a drive to install to his SSD doesnt show up - however it appears in the bios. I asked him if he tried the F6 install drivers for drive option he said yes but he used his MB driver disk which Im not sure would have the drivers for it. I suggested going to the mfg's website and downloading the drivers to a flash drive and trying installing those drivers during installation. Not sure if that worked for him or not. I wasl also trying to read up and saw people having the same kind of issues and some mentioned you need AHCI selected and AS SATA type (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078). Do I need to point him in that direction to get the drive to show up in the installation drive selection area?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: Installing Windows to an SSD   Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:05 am

I built a designer a new cad/cam machine with an ssd. Windows 7 installed like normal. Sounds like his BIOS settings are off a bit.
Googled some info on it.
1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.

On a side note dont buy a new cheap machine and think you can downgrade from 8.1 to 7. I picked up an ACER for my front counter and the bios is so locked down it will only run 8.1. I messed with it for 2 days and finally gave up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tgdracing.com
DontTreadOnMe

PostSubject: Re: Installing Windows to an SSD   Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks Mike - I'll have him try that....

PostSubject: Re: Installing Windows to an SSD   Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey Karl,

He might have to run diskpart while it is plugged into a different Windows PC. It could possibly be that the drive needs newer drivers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keenantech.com
DontTreadOnMe

PostSubject: Re: Installing Windows to an SSD   Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Ok thanks Jim - I talked to him tonight and he already had it on ACHI. He started installing to regular drive and was going to run the clone/migration tool since he couldnt get it figured out. I suggested just installing the bare minimum and doing that and then installing the majority of his software once up and running on the new drive.

PostSubject: Re: Installing Windows to an SSD   Today at 10:53 am

Back to top Go down

Installing Windows to an SSD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1